Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Thoughts on Hiring a Divorce Attorney, Part I

Talk to more than one attorney before selecting one. If you and your spouse are going to be arguing over temporary use of the house and money or access to the kids, this is crucial. If you anticipate an agreed uncontested divorce, this is less important. There are so many attorneys practicing family law, 300+ in Tarrant County alone. Select one that you feel that you can have rapport with. When I say rapport, I do not mean someone who tells you what you want to hear. You need the truth on the law and your situation. You don't want to be wooed into hiring an attorney because they convince you that you can get a settlement/court decision that is never going to materialize.

Each attorney has their own communication style. My style for example is very direct. Sugarcoating things is not in my nature. And I have practiced long enough that I don't have to try to be all things to all people. My earlier blog talks about living a life in accordance with your values. Directness is something that I value and it is the style in which I deliver legal services. That style is not for everyone. If you don't interview more than one attorney, you will not really know what you're getting without something to compare it to. And if your case is going to be litigated, (who knows that going in,) then you want to have a comfortable relationship with your attorney. I'm always surprised when I come across people who were afraid of their attorney, or who would do what ever the attorney said without questioning and understanding the reason for the advice.

I strive to give the same level of legal service to all clients. That being said, there is a certain "pleasure" to teaming up with the client that resonates with my style. How can the feeling not be reciprocal? Talk to more than one attorney before choosing one.

The best attorney for your divorce is not necessarily the same one that your friend or relative or coworker used.Selecting an equally skilled attorney over another based on communication style is just a part of selecting the best person to help you and your family to redefine yourself from married to single.

For Smart Divorce in Texas

Diane M. Wanger
304 Harwood Road
Bedford, Texas
817-285-2855
texasfamilylaw.info

No comments:

Post a Comment